There were so many dandelions all over this weekend that I was taken by the urge to do something else with them. (I very nearly started another gallon of wine, but I barely have enough Champagne bottles for what I’ve started, so unless I can find a good source, 2 gallons will have to be okay for now.) Fortunately, last year, Beckie & Igor sent me a link for solid moisturizer bars, so I did a quick search for it again, and then gathered enough flowers to make 2 jars of infused oil. The darker one is just one of those blue “heritage” canning jars, not anything weird or funky. I’ll be interested to see if that makes any sort of difference. Anyway, I filled the jars with dandelion blossoms and then covered the flowers with organic canola oil. The jars are now sitting in a sunny window, where they will steep for about a month.
Then, since it was a nice weekend and Kim and I spent Saturday having fun, I felt kind of accomplish-y on Sunday, and bottled the last gallon of Concord wine. It was maybe a tiny bit early, or perhaps I should have racked first, because the last bottle was fairly cloudy. I also realized I hadn’t printed the mead labels, so here’s that picture I intended to get to last time.
I also added Sparkalloid to the last 3 gallons from last year: 2 apples and the melomel. They’re already looking nice and clear today, but the instructions say to wait for a week to bottle, so I will do that. However, I think that will about clean me out of bottles! I should start asking when I’m at restaurants, since they probably just toss the empties into the recycle bin.
That’s it for this week! More bottling next week, I think. The melomel is a really pretty color, so I’m looking forward to getting that into some nice clear bottles.