Pitched the mead yeast over the weekend, using a starter: honey stirred into hot water, cooled to room temp, and yeast and a small quantity of nutrient added. When that’s all fizzed up, into the primary it goes. And does it ever go! It’s a really active ferment, fizzing up like a beer head when I stir it.
It still smells of honey, though now, a few days after I pitched the yeast, it also has a nice ferment-y sort of smell, too. Because I wanted this to be dry, it has less honey than some recipes, which should allow the yeast (Champagne, in this case) to eat nearly all the sugar.
I also got my second primary fermentation bucket, so I started my batch of red currant. It’s pinkish, but the color gets a little deeper each day. I just pitched the yeast (Montrachet) this morning, and both batches should be ready for their carboys this coming weekend.
I plan to ferment this wine on the currants the whole time, for a nice red color. I also gathered enough currants for some raspberry-currant jam, when the raspberries are ready next month or so. My freezer’s starting to get kind of full!
Something I read recently mentioned that red currants are sometimes called wineberry, so that seems auspicious. Let’s hope these guys live up to the name.