Put the new wine in its growler over the weekend. There’s the color I’ve been wanting!
I confess I didn’t stir this batch ever, and the bag of blueberries had some yeast growth on it. I will stir next time. Fermentation in the primary wasn’t visibly vigorous, and I never saw the airlock do anything. However, it’s bubbling along nicely now, and even has a little fizz at the top of the carboy. It tastes nicely of blueberries, and should be a magnificent color when it’s finished fermenting.
I hated to waste all that fruit, so I made a crumble out of it, which turns out to have been a strange choice. Maybe because I didn’t stir the primary ferment, some areas of the fruit had a strong alcohol/yeast taste, so some of the crumble was blueberry-licious and some was just kind of weird.
The rhubarb wine has started to change color– I will try to remember to get a picture soon. It’s taken on a pleasant pinkish hue, which I quite like. I hope it will be a nice rosy color when it’s all cleared.
Side note: I’ve come across a recipe for apple wine that I quite want to try. It’s from this blog and it looks quite possible. I’ve mostly found apple wine (and cider) recipes that call for a fruit press, and those suckers are expensive. I’ve also come across this blog, which seems interesting and helpful as well. Though apparently my little country wine blog is not as unique as I hoped!